Quality sleep is massively important for your well being, health, recovery from exercise and of course in the quest for lower body fat.
Use and implement these top tips to ensure you are getting enough.
1. Decide on a bed time in advance. There needs to be a transition period from your daily activity or work, and relaxing your body and brain to be able to go off into a peaceful sleep.
2. Limit caffeine intake if you are sensitive to it in the afternoon/evening.
3. Do a brain dump 1-2 hours before bed. Don’t take the problems you’ve been thinking about into bed with you. Get them all out onto paper first.
4. Turn off electric screens (TV, phone, laptop etc) an hour before bed. The blue light these gadgets emit messes with circadian rhythms and stimulates your brain, not what you want when trying to get too sleep.
5. Read a book, drink camomile or another herbal (decaf) tea or listen to soft music. These activities will calm the mind and make “shutting down” so much easier.
6. Turn off gadgets that beep, or alert you to messages etc. Its too tempting to check, so mute all comms before climbing into bed.
7. Keep your bedroom cool. You know what its like trying to sleep under a warm duvet! Impossible! Keeping the room cool will signal the body to go into hibernation.
8. Dim the lights and make your room dark. Use small lamps in the evening rather than the main room light. Darkness tells the body its time to go to sleep. Get thick curtains or black out blinds for the bedroom.
9. Try some white noise. This can be helpful if you live in a noisy part of town. Leave a fan or de-humidifier on to drown out distracting noises.
10. Take an Epsom salt bath, magnesium is a muscle relaxant and calms the nervous system, its great for recovery from exercise and is great to promote deep sleep.
I recommend this stuff
So there you go!
If you are struggling to get quality sleep, implement as many of these as possible!
Hope that helps