Don’t get fixated on what the scale says when attempting to shift some body fat. Body composition changes cannot be detected by a scale on a day-to-day basis. Fat loss can be detected on a weekly basis, however, so if you can have enough discipline to only hop on once a week, then you have my permission to keep your scale.
This is very tough however- so if you start to notice yourself weighing yourself more often, then hide it.
Did You Know that Your scale weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in one day!
This is due to:
- Weight of food & beverages
- Water loss from exercise
- Water gain from menstrual cycles
- Water retention from high sodium intake
- Weight of non-voided bowel contentsThe scale is NOT the real barometer of progress.
You may believe that “the scale does not lie,” and that the number is objective. However, you can get more objective, more in-depth feedback from other measuring tools.
Here’s an easy way to do it at home: Be mindful of how your clothes are fitting. After all, it is pretty common for the scale “not to budge” for a person who finds she can suddenly fit with ease into a pair of formerly tight jeans.
- Other effective measuring tools can be:
- How you feel after rushing up a flight of stairs
- Not tiring out as quickly when you play with your children
- Your new found ability to change the water cooler bottle at work without any effort!
- Diminished cravings for sugarThe scale can’t record these milestones. When you read the number on the scale, you will automatically associate that number with food. Yes, that’s right. If you don’t like the number, what thought pops into your mind? It almost always relates to food.
The scale is a harbinger of food obsession, which includes counting every calorie, and carb and fat gram. Before you know it, you’ll be carrying a calorie counter with you everywhere you go.
Focus on how you feel, milestones in your daily activities, improved muscle tone, better eating habits, and how your clothes fit, rather than an ambiguous number on a gadget.For help in escaping the scale’s stranglehold and learning how to make REALLY changes in your body, give us a call today so we can help you with one of our customized programs!Pete